Your shopping cart is empty
Ref. N5982 - IH
Shruti Box Sruti 3-octaves chromatic model
The Shruti Box is part of the Harmonium family and plays a similar role to that of Tampoura in Indian music, that is to say it produces a drone (= a fixed note) serving as a base for a piece. In addition to Indian music, the Shruti Box can be used as a continuous bass for all types of music, including folk, traditional and medieval music.
The wooden case contains a set of metal reeds. A system of valves makes it possible to choose the note or notes that one wishes to hear, and thus to compose chords. To get the air into the instrument and play the drone, simply release the front and back covers with the locking hooks and then slowly and smoothly operate the bellows with your hand.
This somewhat peculiar model takes up the principle of the 3-part harmonium: it allows you to play all the notes of the chromatic scale, from C to C, including alterations (flats & sharps), with the choice of Play each on 1, 2 or 3 octaves at the same time. It therefore covers in total a chromatic tessitura of 3 octaves complete.
The valves are arranged in the following manner:
● From left to right: Do-Do # -Re-Ré # -Mi-Fa-Fa # -Sol-Sol # -La-La # -Si
● From top to bottom: Octave grave - Octave medium - Octave acute
● Chromatic model Do to Si
● 3 voices / 3 octaves
● 36 notes / 36 valves / 36 blades
● Double manual bellows (front-rear)
● Wood veneered
● Mahogany color finish
Dimensions: 40 x 30 x 7 cm
Weight: 4.4 kg
Important: Each shruti box we sell is taken to our workshop for fine tuning
- Made in India - Note the color of the flaps seen on the pictures is not contractual. Depending on the arrivals, the color of the instrument or bellows may also change.